Dubai and the wider Gulf has always been a playground for architects and designers will outlandish dreams and big project ambitions. During the fast-paced growth of the first few years of the new millennium many projects were announced onto the crowded market in a bid to attract headlines and find the next biggest, best and brightest development.
The credit crunch saw many such projects consigned to the drawing board and while most were in Dubai, others were further afield in Bahrain and Doha.
The range of crazy projects pitched includes:
- A village themed around a group of blue Belgian cartoon characters
- A whole city based on a board game
- A new facelift for the world’s tallest building
- Multi-storey farms
- Futuristic environmental projects designed pitched by a Baywatch star and a Hollywood heartthrob
- Rotating towers and underwater hotels
- A theme park based on a fictional Disney car which comes to life
- A fashion island resort designed by a popstar
Source: Arabian Business