Dubai’s DP World deal for $3.7 billion new port


Dubai’s DP World inks deal for $3.7bn port investment venture. Port operator says it has partnered with US pension fund giant to invest in ports and terminals globally. Dubai-based port operator DP World has announced the creation of an investment vehicle in partnership with Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (CDPQ), one of North America’s largest pension fund managers.

Dubai Port World (Photo: Dubai Port)
Dubai Port World (Photo: Dubai Port)

The investment platform totals $3.7 billion, with DP World holding a 55 percent share and CDPQ the remaining 45 percent, the company said in a statement. The platform will invest in ports and terminals globally (excluding the UAE) across the life cycle of the asset, with a focus on investment grade countries, it said. It added that it will also invest mostly in existing assets, but with up to 25 percent invested in greenfield opportunities.The investment vehicle will be seeded with two of DP World’s Canadian container terminals, located on the Pacific Coast in Vancouver and Prince Rupert, with CDPQ acquiring a 45 percent stake of the combined assets for $640 million.

Sultan Ahmed Bin Sulayem, group chairman and CEO, DP World, said: “As a global trade enabler, DP World is proud to announce the partnership with CDPQ to invest in growth opportunities in port and terminal businesses around the world. “In CDPQ we have found a partner with shared vision who is willing to participate in the risk and reward of investing throughout the life cycle of trade-enabling assets across the globe. The partial monetisation of our Canadian assets further strengthens our balance sheet.

“The opportunity landscape in the port and terminal sector remains significant and this partnership offers us greater flexibility to capitalise on these opportunities while maintaining a strong balance sheet and retaining control.Michael Sabia, president and CEO, CDPQ, added: “Through this new investment platform with DP World, a world-class port and terminal operator, CDPQ will have unique access to highquality transactions, and the opportunity to invest in the best port infrastructure worldwide. As a first step, we are pleased to announce two key investments in British Columbia. “We look forward to leveraging our in-house infrastructure expertise and DP World’s strong track record in the port sector to deliver attractive long-term returns for our clients.”  CDPQ’s investment in the two Canadian terminals are subject to a number of customary regulatory approvals.

Sources: QGN, Arabian Business, Gulf Agencies.