HH the Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani appointed new foreign and labour ministers in a reshuffle of Cabinet positions.
HE Sheikh Mohamed bin Abdulrahman al-Thani replaced HE Dr Khalid bin Mohamed al-Attiyah as foreign minister, according to the Emir’s order published on the official Qatar News Agency (QNA).
Al-Attiyah was appointed the minister of state for defence. The Emir himself holds the post of defence minister.
Al-Attiyah had been Qatar’s foreign minister since 2013 and was recently heavily involved in international negotiations on the Syrian war. He had worked within that department since 2011.
Sheikh Mohamed is a senior official who was previously in charge of international co-operation in the Foreign Ministry.
In total, seven changes to the Cabinet were announced on QNA as several ministries, including the labour, were merged.
HE Issa bin Saad al-Jafali al-Nuaimi was awarded the new position of minister for administrative development and labour and social affairs.
He replaces Labour Minister HE Abdullah bin Saleh al-Khulaifi at one of the country’s most high-profile cabinet posts.
One post which remained the same was that of the prime minister, held by Sheikh Abdullah bin Nasser bin Khalifa al-Thani since 2013.
HH the Emir issued the Emiri Order No 1 of 2016, amending the formation of the Council of Ministers.
The Emiri Order appointed:
• HE Dr Khalid bin Mohamed al Attiyah as Minister of State for Defence Affairs and member of the Council of Ministers,
• HE Sheikh Mohamed bin Abdurrahman Al-Thani as Foreign Minister,
• HE Salah bin Ghanem Al Ali as Minister of Culture and Sports,
• HE Dr Issa bin Saad al-Jafali al-Nuaimi as Minister of Administrative Development, Labor and Social Affairs,
• HE Jassim bin Saif Al Sulati as Minister of Transport and Communications,
• HE Mohamed bin Abdullah Al Rumaihi as Minister of Municipality and Environment,
• HE Dr Hanan Mohamed Al Kuwari as Minister of Public Health.
The new ministers took the oath before the Emir at the Emiri Diwan.
The oath taking ceremony was attended by HH the Deputy Emir Sheikh Abdullah bin Hamad al-Thani, and HE the Prime Minister and Interior Minister Sheikh Abdullah bin Nasser bin Khalifa al-Thani.
Also , HH the Emir issued the Emiri Order No 2 of 2016, appointing HE Major General Hamad bin Ali al-Attiyah as advisor to the Emir for Defence Affairs, with the rank of prime minister.